Brother International Corporation policy
(Last Updated: August 18, 2020)
Brother International Corporation, and its subsidiaries (“Company,” “Brother”, “we,” or “us”), are committed to respecting and protecting your privacy. We know that the privacy of personal information is an important concern to our customers.
To facilitate our operations, we may transfer, store and process your Personal Information (as defined below) in jurisdictions other than where you live, including in the United States. Laws in these countries may differ from the laws applicable to your country of residence. For instance, if you are a European Economic Area (EEA) data subject and your Personal Information is shared with our affiliates, partners, or third-party service providers acting on our behalf outside of the EEA, then it is done so pursuant to necessary means to ensure an adequate level of protection.
Brother International Corporation (and its subsidiary companies Brother Industries (U.S.A.), Inc. and Brother Mobile Solutions, Inc.) participate in and have certified their compliance with the EU-U.S. and the Swiss-US Privacy Shield Framework. Brother International Corporation is committed to subjecting all personal data received from European Union (EU) member countries and Switzerland, in reliance on the Privacy Shield Framework, to the Framework’s applicable Principles. To learn more about the Privacy Shield Framework, visit the U.S. Department of Commerce’s Privacy Shield List at https://www.privacyshield.gov/list.
Brother International Corporation is responsible for the processing of personal data it receives, under the Privacy Shield Framework, and subsequent transfers to a third party acting as an agent on its behalf. Brother International Corporation complies with the Privacy Shield Principles for all onward transfers of personal data from the EU and Switzerland, including the onward transfer liability provisions.
With respect to personal data received or transferred pursuant to the Privacy Shield Framework, Brother International Corporation is subject to the regulatory enforcement powers of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission. In certain situations, Brother International Corporation may be required to disclose personal data in response to lawful requests by public authorities, including for the purpose of meeting national security or law enforcement requirements.
If you have an unresolved privacy or data use concern that we have not addressed satisfactorily, please contact our U.S.-based third party dispute resolution provider (free of charge) at https://feedback-form.truste.com/watchdog/request.
Under certain conditions, more fully described on the Privacy Shield website at https://www.privacyshield.gov/article?id=How-to-Submit-a-Complaint, you may invoke binding arbitration when other dispute resolution procedures have been exhausted.
This statement describes (i) the types of Personal Information we collect, (ii) how we use and protect the information, and (iii) to whom we disclose information.
The Site and the Services are generally intended for adult audiences. Company does not knowingly collect, disclose or use any Personal Information of individuals under 13 years of age for marketing, solicitation or any other purposes, other than for lawful purposes related to the operation and maintenance of the Site and the Services.
Collection of Personal Information
Personal Information is any data that can be used to identify an individual.
The Personal Information that you may be asked to provide when creating an account or registering for the Services may include your first and last name, mailing address (including ZIP code), e-mail address, password, billing contact information, telephone and, if applicable, your employer’s name and address.
We may also collect certain information about your access to and use of the Site and the Services, such as the name of the Internet service provider and the Internet Protocol (IP) address through which you access the Internet, the dates and times that you access the Site, and the Services, the pages that you view while at the Site, and the Internet address of the website from which you linked to the Site. Information regarding your computer system configuration and operating system is also gathered. This information is used by us to help analyze trends, enhance your experience on the Site, and to improve and administer the Services.
Company and its affiliates may also collect information from our products and the devices connected to the products including, but not limited to, the printer model, serial number, the device location, usage data and operating information (“Device Data”). Our collection of Device Data is enabled by the software embedded in our products. You may opt-out of such collection by following the instructions in the End User License Agreement for the software.
We also display personal testimonials of satisfied customers on our site in addition to other endorsements. With your consent we may post your testimonial along with your name. If you wish to update or delete your testimonial, you can contact us at [email protected].
If you receive newsletters or promotional e-mails from us, we may collect additional information about you through the use of customized links or similar technologies to determine whether the e-mail was opened and which links were utilized by you in order to provide you more focused e-mail communications or other information.
We collect your location-based information for the purpose of providing you with information (such as job postings) specific to your location. We will only share this information with our mapping provider for the sole purpose of providing you this service.
You may opt-out of location based services at any time by editing the setting at the device level or by emailing us at [email protected].
Use of Personal Information
Company may use your Personal Information to provide you with more effective customer service, to improve the Site, and the Services, and to make the Site easier to use by eliminating the need for you to repeatedly enter the same information or by customizing the Site to your particular preference or interests, among other uses.
Registration information collected is used by Company to validate users, manage subscriptions, recall user settings (address book etc.) deliver Services, support and improve the Services, and for our internal process evaluations. You may abandon registration at any time before completing the registration process. With regard to Personal Information that is collected during the registration process from our users, we present the option not to receive communications from Company regarding the Services and other product information. If you do not wish to receive such communications, you may opt-out or unsubscribe. We present the OPT-OUT option to all users, except with respect to system or service notifications. Each communication that you receive from Company will provide you with a method of opting out or unsubscribing.
We may also use Personal Information to determine your eligibility for our free trial offers. Your email address may be used to send you periodic product offers and usage tips. You can opt-out of promotional emails at any time by following the unsubscribe instructions in the communications you receive, but will still receive communications such as receipts, confirmation emails and customer service updates that are considered necessary to provide the Services to you. We use the Personal Information collected to deliver Services, process payments, update our records, communicate with you about products and Services and generally maintain your accounts with us.
If you opt in to receiving delivery status updates for your order via SMS, you consent to us using the telephone number you have provided in connection with your order for this purpose. We may also share your phone number with service providers who facilitate the updates. Messaging and data rates may apply.
Company may disclose Personal Information if we determine that disclosure is required by law, other legal process or is requested by a public or governmental authority:
- to comply with any law, regulation, or litigation; or
- to protect and defend the property rights of Company and its affiliates; or
- to act in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of any officer, director, employee, consultant, agent or representative of Company, any user of Company products or services including without limitation the Site and the Services, or any member of the public; or
- for reasons of national security, law enforcement or other issues of public importance.
- In the event Company goes through a business transition, such as a merger, acquisition by another company, or sale of all or a portion of its assets, your Personal Information will likely be among the assets transferred. You will be notified via email and/or prominent notice on our Web site for 30 days of any such change in ownership or control of your Personal Information.
- We may also disclose your Personal Information to any other third party with your prior consent.
We will retain your Personal Information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you with the Services. We will retain and use your Personal Information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
Sharing of Your Personal Information
In providing the Services to users, Company is required to provide some of your information to third parties in order to perform activities associated with the Services. Examples of these activities include billing processing, live chat software to assist you if you have questions while using our site or regarding your order, and fulfillment and sending e-mails on our behalf. When you sign up for our Services, we will share your Personal Information only as necessary for the third party to provide that Service and only to the third parties who we believe provide appropriate data security protection.
Company may share your Consolidated User Data with our marketing partners, affiliates, or analytics or service providers for the purpose of customizing your experience on our Site.
Brother shares aggregated demographic information with its business associates and advertisers. For example, Brother may, on a periodic basis, present information such as the number of users, areas of interest, relationship to Brother, etc.
Updating Your Personal Information
If you are a user who maintains an account with us, you may amend or update inaccurate or incomplete Personal Information associated with your account, request deletion of such Personal Information, or request that we no longer use it. Upon request, we will inform you whether we hold any such Personal Information. If your Personal Information changes, it is your responsibility and obligation to update it. If you wish to change, review, delete or update your Personal Information associated with your account, you can do so by logging onto your “My Account” page. You can access or update your Personal Information and communication preferences we have on file. If you require assistance in updating or accessing the Personal Information, or if you would like to request that your account be marked as inactive, please contact us at [email protected]. We will respond to your request within 45 days.
Security of Your Personal Information
We are committed to protecting the security of your Personal Information. We use a variety of security technologies and procedures to help protect your Personal Information from unauthorized access, use or disclosure. For example, we store the Personal Information you provide to us on computer servers with limited access. When we transmit sensitive Personal Information (such as a credit card number) over the Internet, we transmit it through the use of Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption or other technologies.
The Personal Information that you provide to Company in connection with registering as a user of the Site or the Services (such as your name and e-mail address) is protected in several ways. For example, your access to your registration information is available through a password and a unique customer ID which is a valid e-mail address provided by you. This password is encrypted. We recommend that you do not divulge your password to anyone. In addition, your registration information resides on secure servers accessible to only selected Company personnel. Company encrypts your Personal Information and strives to prevent unauthorized parties from viewing such information when it is transmitted to Company. We utilize security data security methods appropriate to the risks presented. No method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure, however. Therefore, we cannot guarantee its absolute security. If you have any questions about security on our Web site, you can contact us at [email protected]
We and our marketing partners, affiliates, or analytics or service providers, use technologies such as cookies, beacons, tags, scripts, or similar technologies to analyze trends, administer the website, tracking users’ movements around the website, and to gather demographic information about our user base as a whole. We may receive reports based on the use of these technologies by these companies on an individual and aggregated basis.
In addition to cookies, the Site gathers certain information automatically and store it in log files. This information includes IP/Internet address of your computer, your browser version, referring URLs and general web visitor information used by our web traffic reporting tools. This information may be linked to your registration information, and your navigation around the Site may be tracked. We use this information to understand how the Site is being used so that we can improve the Site and offer appropriate products and services to our customers.
We use clear gifs in our HTML-based emails in order to count traffic or determine readership statistics. This allows us to gauge the effectiveness of certain communications and the effectiveness of our marketing campaigns.
We also use Local Storage Objects (LSOs) such as HTML5 and Flash to store content information and preferences. Third parties with whom we partner to provide certain features on our site or to display advertising based upon your Web browsing activity use HTML 5 to collect and store information. Various browsers may offer their own management tools for removing HTML5 LSOs. To learn how to manage privacy and storage settings for Flash cookies click here.
We partner with a third party to either display advertising on our Web site or to manage our advertising on other sites. Our third party partner may use technologies such as cookies to gather information about your activities on this site and other sites in order to provide you advertising based upon your browsing activities and interests. If you wish to not have this information used for the purpose of serving you interest-based ads, you may opt-out by clicking here (or if located in the European Union click here). Please note this does not opt you out of being served ads. You will continue to receive generic ads.
Use of Google Analytics
If you would like to prevent your data from being collected and processed by Google Analytics, you can opt-out from Google Analytics by downloading and installing the Google Analytics’ Opt-out Add-on.
Social Media Widgets
Links to Other Web Sites
We reserve the right to transfer any and all information that we collect from users to a third party in the event of any merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of Brother’s assets or stock (including without limitation in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings.
Company Contact Information
Your California Privacy Rights
If you are a California resident, California law may provide you with additional rights regarding our use of your Personal Information. To learn more about your California privacy rights, visit our CCPA Privacy Notice.
CCPA Privacy Notice
Notice of California Consumer Data Collection and Sharing Practices
Effective Date: January 1, 2020
(Last Updated: August 18, 2020)
The California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) provides California residents with rights to receive certain disclosures regarding the collection, use, and sharing of “Personal Information,” as well as rights to access and control Personal Information. The CCPA defines “Personal Information” to mean “information that identifies, relates to, describes, is capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular consumer or household.” Certain information we collect may be exempt from the CCPA because it is considered public information (i.e., it is made available by a government entity) or covered by a federal privacy law, such as the Gramm–Leach–Bliley Act, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, or the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
To the extent that we collect Personal Information that is subject to the CCPA, that information, our practices, and your rights are described below.
Right to Information Regarding the Categories of Personal Information Collected, Sold, and Disclosed
Please see our Notice of California Consumer Data Collection and Sharing Practices below.
Right to Access Information
You have the right to request access to Personal Information collected about you and information regarding the source of that information, the purposes for which we collect it, and the third parties and service providers with whom we share it. To protect our customers’ Personal Information, we are required to verify your identity before we can act on your request.
Right to Request Deletion of Information
You have the right to request in certain circumstances that we delete any Personal Information that we have collected directly from you. To protect our customers’ Personal Information, we are required to verify your identity before we can act on your request. We may have a reason under the law why we do not have to comply with your request, or why we may comply with it in a more limited way than you anticipated. If we do, we will explain that to you in our response.
Right to Information Regarding Participation in Data Sharing for Financial Incentives
We may run promotions from time to time whereby we incentivize a consumer to share certain pieces of information with us; for example, we may offer a one-time discount if consumers sign up for our email marketing list. Participation in these incentives is voluntary and you may opt out of the data sharing at any time.
Your California Privacy Rights
Residents of the State of California also have the right to request information regarding third parties to whom the company has disclosed certain categories of Personal Information during the preceding year for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes. To make a request, please send your request by mail to Brother International Corporation, Attn: Legal Department – Privacy, 200 Crossing Boulevard, Bridgewater, NJ 08807 or email to [email protected].
How to Submit a Request
You may submit a request to exercise your rights through one of the following means:
- By filling out a Consumer Data Request Form available here.
- By calling us at 1-855-996-0289 during the hours of 6:00 AM to 3:00 PM Pacific Time.
Notice of California Consumer Data Collection and Sharing Practices
The following is a description of our data collection practices, including the personal information we collect, the sources of that information, the purposes for which we collect information, and whether we disclose that information to external parties. The categories we use to describe the information are those enumerated in the CCPA.
- We collect your name, email address, phone number, and contact address when you create an account or complete a transaction. If you choose to create an account, you will also be asked to create a username. We use this information to provide our Services, respond to your requests, and send information and advertisements to you.
- We collect your social media handle and basic account information when you interact with our services through social media. We use this information to improve our services, respond to your requests or complaints, and send information and advertisements to you.
- We collect a unique numerical identifier, assigned to you by a first-party cookie, automatically when you use our Site in order to identify you, provide our Services, keep you logged in to our Site, prevent fraud, and provide you with targeted information and offers.
- We collect payment information when you provide it to us, or to a service provider working on our behalf, when you complete a transaction. We use this information to facilitate payments and transactions.
- We do not collect your Driver’s License number or passport number.
- We do not collect your social security number.
- We do not collect any medical information or health information about you.
- We collect your IP address when you use our Site. We use this information to gauge online activity on our Site, measure the effectiveness of online services, applications, and tools, and serve targeted advertisements based on your online activities.
- We collect your Device ID when you use certain of our Services. We use this information to monitor your use and the effectiveness of our Services, to identify you, and to provide you with targeted information and offers.
- Protected Classifications: We collect information related to your gender, if you choose to provide it, for the purpose of communicating with you. We do not collect your age, racial or ethnic origin, disability status, or sexual orientation.
- Commercial Information: When you engage in transactions with us, we create records of goods or services purchased or considered, as well as purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies. We collect information from our products and the devices connected to the products including the printer model, serial number, device location, usage data, and operating information unless you opt out of such collection. We use this information to measure the effectiveness of our services and to provide you with targeted information, advertisements, and offers.
- Biometric Information: We do not collect information about your physiological, biological, or behavioral characteristics.
- Internet or Other Electronic Network Activity Information: We collect information about your browsing history, search history, and information regarding your interaction with websites, applications, or advertisements automatically when you use our Services. We use this information to gauge online activity on our Site, measure the effectiveness of online services, applications, and tools, and to serve targeted advertisements based on your online activities.
- Geolocation Data: As described above, we collect your IP address automatically when you use our Services. We may be able to determine your general location based on the IP address. We also collect your device location when you have not opted out of the collection of device data. We do not collect your precise location (e.g., your GPS coordinates). If you allow your device to provide us with this information, we use it to make improvements to our products and services, and to provide recommendations and deliver relevant advertising.
- Audio, electronic, visual, thermal, olfactory, or similar information: If you contact us via telephone, we may record the call. We use this information to monitor our customer service. We will notify you if a call is being recorded at the beginning of the call. We do not collect your photographic or video image, thermal, and olfactory information.
- Professional or employment-related information: We collect your employer’s name and address if necessary to complete a transaction.
- Education information: We do not collect any information about the institutions you have attended or the level of education you have attained.
- Inferences drawn to create a profile about a consumer reflecting the consumer’s preferences or characteristics: We analyze your actual or likely preferences through a series of computer processes. On some occasions, we may add our observations to your internal profile. We use this information to gauge and develop our marketing activities, measure the appeal and effectiveness of our services, applications, and tools, and to provide you with targeted information, advertisements, and offers.
We may use any of the categories of information listed above for other business or operational purposes compatible with the context in which the Personal Information was collected.