Brother International Corporation policy
(Last Updated: August 22, 2022)
Brother International Corporation and its subsidiaries (“Company,” “Brother”, “we,” or “us”) are committed to respecting and protecting your privacy. We know that the privacy of personal information is an important concern to our customers.
Brother International Corporation (and its subsidiary companies Brother Industries (U.S.A.), Inc. and Brother Mobile Solutions, Inc.) participate in and have certified their compliance with the EU-U.S. and the Swiss-US Privacy Shield Framework. Brother International Corporation is committed to subjecting all personal data received from European Union (EU) member countries and Switzerland, in reliance on the Privacy Shield Framework, to the Framework’s applicable Principles. To learn more about the Privacy Shield Framework, visit the U.S. Department of Commerce’s Privacy Shield List at https://www.privacyshield.gov/list.
Brother International Corporation is responsible for the processing of personal data it receives, under the Privacy Shield Framework, and subsequent transfers to a third party acting as an agent on its behalf. Brother International Corporation complies with the Privacy Shield Principles for all onward transfers of personal data from the EU and Switzerland, including the onward transfer liability provisions.
With respect to personal data received or transferred pursuant to the Privacy Shield Framework, Brother International Corporation is subject to the regulatory enforcement powers of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission. In certain situations, Brother International Corporation may be required to disclose personal data in response to lawful requests by public authorities, including for the purpose of meeting national security or law enforcement requirements.
If you have an unresolved privacy or data use concern that we have not addressed satisfactorily, please contact our U.S.-based third party dispute resolution provider (free of charge) at https://feedback-form.truste.com/watchdog/request.
Under certain conditions, more fully described on the Privacy Shield website at https://www.privacyshield.gov/article?id=How-to-Submit-a-Complaint, you may invoke binding arbitration when other dispute resolution procedures have been exhausted.
This statement describes (i) the types of Personal Information we collect, (ii) how we use and protect the information, and (iii) to whom we disclose information.
The Site and the Services are generally intended for adult audiences. Company does not knowingly collect, disclose or use any Personal Information of individuals under 16 years of age for marketing, solicitation, or any other purposes, other than for lawful purposes related to the operation and maintenance of the Site and the Services.
Collection of Personal Information
Personal Information is any data that can be used to identify an individual.
The Personal Information that you may be asked to provide when creating an account or registering for the Services may include your first and last name, mailing address (including ZIP code), e-mail address, password, billing contact information, telephone and, if applicable, your employer’s name and address.
We may also collect certain information about your access to and use of the Site and the Services, such as the name of the Internet service provider and the Internet Protocol (IP) address through which you access the Internet, the dates and times that you access the Site, and the Services, the pages that you view while at the Site, information on how you interact with the Site, and the Internet address of the website from which you linked to the Site. Information regarding your computer system configuration and operating system is also gathered. This information is used by us to help analyze trends, enhance your experience on the Site, and to improve and administer the Services.
Company and its affiliates may also collect information from our products and the devices connected to the products including, but not limited to, the printer model, serial number, the device location, usage data and operating information (“Device Data”). Our collection of Device Data is enabled by the software embedded in our products. You may opt-out of such collection by following the instructions in the End User License Agreement for the software.
We also display personal testimonials of satisfied customers on our site in addition to other endorsements. With your consent, we may post your testimonial along with your name. If you wish to update or delete your testimonial, you can contact us at [email protected].
If you receive newsletters or promotional e-mails from us, we may collect additional information about you through the use of customized links or similar technologies to determine whether the e-mail was opened and which links were utilized by you in order to provide you more focused e-mail communications or other information.
We collect your location-based information for the purpose of providing you with information on our Services specific to your location. We will only share this information with our mapping provider for the sole purpose of providing you this service.
You may opt-out of location based services at any time by editing the setting at the device level or by emailing us at [email protected].
Use of Personal Information
Company may use your Personal Information to provide you with more effective customer service, to improve the Site and the Services, and to make the Site easier to use by eliminating the need for you to repeatedly enter the same information, or by customizing the Site to your preferences or interests, among other uses.
Registration information collected is used by Company to validate users, manage subscriptions, recall user settings (address book etc.) deliver Services, support, and improve the Services, and for our internal process evaluations. You may abandon registration at any time before completing the registration process. With regard to Personal Information that is collected during the registration process from our users, we present the option not to receive communications from Company regarding the Services and other product information. If you do not wish to receive such communications, you may opt-out or unsubscribe. We present the OPT-OUT option to all users, except with respect to system or service notifications. Each communication that you receive from Company will provide you with a method of opting out or unsubscribing.
We may also use Personal Information to determine your eligibility for our free trial offers. Your email address may be used to send you periodic product offers and usage tips. You can opt-out of promotional emails at any time by following the unsubscribe instructions in the communications you receive, but will still receive communications such as receipts, confirmation emails and customer service updates that are considered necessary to provide the Services to you. We use the Personal Information collected to deliver Services, process payments, update our records, communicate with you about products and Services and generally maintain your accounts with us.
If you opt in to receiving delivery status updates for your order via SMS, you consent to us using the telephone number you have provided in connection with your order for this purpose. We may also share your phone number with service providers who facilitate the updates. Messaging and data rates may apply.
Company may disclose Personal Information if we determine that disclosure is required by law, other legal process, or is requested by a public or governmental authority:
- to comply with any law, regulation, or litigation; or
- to protect and defend the property rights of Company and its affiliates; or
- to act in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of any officer, director, employee, consultant, agent or representative of Company, any user of Company products or services including without limitation the Site and the Services, or any member of the public; or
- for reasons of national security, law enforcement or other issues of public importance.
- In the event Company goes through a business transition, such as a merger, acquisition by another company, or sale of all or a portion of its assets, your Personal Information will likely be among the assets transferred. You will be notified via email and/or prominent notice on our Web site for 30 days of any such change in ownership or control of your Personal Information.
- We may also disclose your Personal Information to any other third party with your prior consent.
- We will retain your Personal Information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you with the Services. We will retain and use your Personal Information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
Sharing of Your Personal Information
Brother may share your information with:
- Service Providers: Our contractors, service providers, and other third parties we use to support our business may have access to your information to help carry out the services they are performing for us, such as, including: creating, maintaining, hosting, and delivering of our Site and our Services; conducting marketing, handling payments, order fulfillment; administering contests; conducting research and analytics; gathering information you provide in connection with your inquiries; and customer service.
- Partners: We may share your information with third party partners. Depending on the partnership, such as a content or sweepstakes, we may share certain information including contact information (at your direction), identification and demographic information, transactional information, user-generated content that you provide, research and feedback, device information and identifiers, connection and usage information, public and commercial information, and social media information. Partners may use your information pursuant to their own policies.
- Social Media Networks: We may share your information with social media networks for example, if you click on a Facebook “like” button on our Site, the “like” may appear on your Facebook account. Or you may choose to share information directly on these networks using plug-ins for sharing. To control this sharing of information, please review and adjust your privacy settings for the relevant social media network. Depending on your privacy settings and actions on such network, we may share contact information, identification and demographic information, user-generated content, device information and identifiers, connection and usage data, and social media information.
- Advertisers, Advertising Networks, and Other Third Parties: We may share information about how you use the Services and interact with content or ads to better tailor services, products, marketing, and advertising on our Services and on third-party platforms. To enable these purposes, we may share certain demographics information, device information and identifiers, connection and usage data, geolocation data, public and commercial information, and social media information.
Updating Your Personal Information
If you are a user who maintains an account with us, you may amend or update inaccurate or incomplete Personal Information associated with your account, request deletion of such Personal Information, or request that we no longer use it. Upon request, we will inform you whether we hold any such Personal Information. If your Personal Information changes, it is your responsibility and obligation to update it. If you wish to change, review, delete or update your Personal Information associated with your account, you can do so by logging onto your “My Account” page. You can access or update your Personal Information and communication preferences we have on file. If you require assistance in updating or accessing the Personal Information, or if you would like to request that your account be marked as inactive, please contact us at [email protected]. We will respond to your request within 45 days.
Security of Your Personal Information
We are committed to protecting the security of your Personal Information. We use a variety of security technologies and procedures to help protect your Personal Information from unauthorized access, use or disclosure. For example, we store the Personal Information you provide to us on computer servers with limited access. When we transmit sensitive Personal Information (such as a credit card number) over the Internet, we transmit it through the use of Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption or other technologies.
The Personal Information that you provide to Company in connection with registering as a user of the Site or the Services (such as your name and e-mail address) is protected in several ways. For example, your access to your registration information is available through a password and a unique customer ID which is a valid e-mail address provided by you. This password is encrypted. We recommend that you do not divulge your password to anyone. In addition, your registration information resides on secure servers accessible to only selected Company personnel. Company encrypts your Personal Information and strives to prevent unauthorized parties from viewing such information when it is transmitted to Company. We utilize security data security methods appropriate to the risks presented. No method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure, however. Therefore, we cannot guarantee its absolute security. If you have any questions about security on our Web site, you can contact us at [email protected].
We and our marketing partners, affiliates, or analytics or service providers, use technologies such as cookies, beacons, tags, scripts, or similar technologies to analyze trends, administer the website, tracking users’ movements around the website, and to gather demographic information about our user base as a whole. We may receive reports based on the use of these technologies by these companies on an individual and aggregated basis.
In addition to cookies, the Site gathers certain information automatically and store it in log files. This information includes IP/Internet address of your computer, your browser version, referring URLs and general web visitor information used by our web traffic reporting tools. This information may be linked to your registration information, and your navigation around the Site may be tracked. We use this information to understand how the Site is being used so that we can improve the Site and offer appropriate products and services to our customers.
We use clear gifs in our HTML-based emails in order to count traffic or determine readership statistics. This allows us to gauge the effectiveness of certain communications and the effectiveness of our marketing campaigns.
We also use Local Storage Objects (LSOs) such as HTML5 and Flash to store content information and preferences. Third parties with whom we partner to provide certain features on our site or to display advertising based upon your Web browsing activity use HTML 5 to collect and store information. Various browsers may offer their own management tools for removing HTML5 LSOs. To learn how to manage privacy and storage settings for Flash cookies click here.
We partner with a third party to either display advertising on our Web site or to manage our advertising on other sites. Our third party partner may use technologies such as cookies to gather information about your activities on this site and other sites in order to provide you advertising based upon your browsing activities and interests. If you wish to not have this information used for the purpose of serving you interest-based ads, you may opt-out by clicking here (or if located in the European Union click here). Please note this does not opt you out of being served ads. You will continue to receive generic ads.
Use of Google Analytics
For more information about how Google handles your information, please see www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners.
If you would like to prevent your data from being collected and processed by Google Analytics, you can opt-out from Google Analytics by downloading and installing the Google Analytics’ Opt-out Add-on.
Links to Other Web Sites
We reserve the ‘right’ to transfer any and all information that we collect from users to a third party in the event of any merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of Brother’s assets or stock (including without limitation in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings.
Company Contact Information
Your California Privacy Rights
If you are a California resident, California law may provide you with additional rights regarding our use of your Personal Information. To learn more about your California privacy rights, visit our CCPA Privacy Notice.